Wednesday, April 29, 2009

becoming a morning person

I have never really been a morning person. I can get up whenever I want to, no problem. 5:oo am, 7:oo am 2:oo pm no problem, I'm wide awake when I need to be, and sound asleep otherwise. So its not a problem of waking up, but rather getting up. I find that no matter when I set the alarm, if I don't' have to be somewhere, I'm gonna hit snooze.

But recently, God's been dealing with me about my devotions. Not in them, sadly, but about them. You see, they are not so regular, not so helpful. I do them at night. I have no problem staying awake to read, but again, sadly mostly I am trying to finish that new book, or my latest re-read. I find that while I can stay up till 3 in the morning for fiction, I often completely forget to do my devotions.

So God gentle suggested that I do them in the morning. For the past few days I have gotten up early, grab breakfast and coffee, and sat on the back patio having my devotions. I have to say, thanks God, that was a great idea. I feel refreshed, not only from spending my morning with God, but also from being awake. I feel better throughout the day, not only from having fresh truths to apply to life, but from rising early, and not having that icky-I-slept-way-to-long-and- the-day-is-half-gone feeling. I get so much more done.

I am quite frankly, much happier.

And hey, I realize that it's only been two days, but still, things are looking better than they have for a while. I think God has used my natural tendencies to help me along. You see, I have this dog, that gets up early and starts barking. Which means I get a phone call from mom or dad, telling me to get out there and persuade him to stop. I have some chickens who are also early risers, who like to be fed early as well. And the rabbits, and the garden needs water of a morning before the suns to high.

By the time I feed all the animals, I wide awake. No sleeping through the book of psalms. And while I water, I find its a good time to reflect or pray. I don't know why, but it still amazes me how God can take the things in a persons life and use them to help us along. He can make the dragging weight into an anchor, turn the tailspin into a new direction.

I know I've got a long way to go, but with Gods help, and prayers from all my friends, I think, well I think I just might make it.

1 comment:

Melissa Phelps said...

Ah, how cool. Maybe I should get chickens.
I remember having some wonderful devotional times back in the dark ages out on your front porch. :)