Tuesday, January 27, 2009

survival pack

"Come prepared"
These were the ominous words of my manager who called this afternoon to make sure that I would be able to make it in to work. She informed me that in the quite likely event that we would be snowed into the hospital, I should be prepared to stay. Bring an extra shirt, since you work tomorrow, and do you want me to put your name down for a bed . . . just in case? A hearty no thanks, for if I am snowed in I will not be able to sleep in the ER of University Hospital. No way.

So I packed my Survival Bag and headed in to work. (OK dad drove me in.)
My bag includes:
~Change of clothes, but no bed clothes.
~Toothbrush/toothpaste
~Contact kit
~Deodorant
~2 slim fast shakes, (so that I can starve myself in an emergency)
~2 slim fast snacks, (ditto)
~A handful of Slim Jims (because it starts with slim, I pretend their healthy.)
~A large notebook
~A drawing book
~A compilation of all the work on a poem of mine, (big pile of papers w/scribbles)
~My moms copy of "The Complete Novels of Jane Austen" (really big book. with two fold purpose. I can read to entertain myself, or burn it to provide warmth if stranded, believe me, this book should burn for hours. {no one should put several books in one cover.})
~Bible
~pencil/pens/and pencil sharpener

After I got to work I remember that I should have grabbed my phone charger. I'm sure as the night progresses I shall remember other things, which would have been useful. Snow shoes perhaps.

Now I have confirmed that Mom and Dad cannot pick me up, and am planning to stay with my wonderful sister Tiffany. But mother nature is fickle and we shall see how far I get.

Until my next post, enjoy your winter wonder land
Melissa Barr

2 comments:

TKB said...

Thanks for the "wonderful" part...is that to insure that you get picked up from work? ;)

Melissa Phelps said...

Wow. That's quite the compliation of survival equipment... where you a girl scout?
This morning the electricity was off when I got up and I had a flashback. I wondered if I'd be a refugee again. But it was only off for another hour after I got up.