Friday, January 16, 2009

helpful latin phrases that everyone should know

Everything thats interesting has a motto. People, groups, schools, building. All good mottos are in Latin. Therefor, I needed a Latin motto. Not being very fluent myself, I decided to use old faithful, aka the internet. I found a great site, and will now share with you some of the phrases I deliberated on. I have to many to share at once so I will try put them in some kind of order. Keep two things in mind while reading.

#1 Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi - (I don't really know all that much Latin)

#2 Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur - (Anything said in Latin sounds profound)



Things that make sense. (sort of)


~a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi - a precipice in front, wolves behind


~acta non verba -actions not words


~ad maiorem dei gloriam - for the greater glory of God


~Cave ab homine unius libri - Beware of anyone who has just one book.


~Memento mori - Remember that you must die


~Nascentes morimur - From the moment we are born, we begin to die


~Proximus sum egomet mihi - I am closest to myself.


~Scribere est agere - To write is to act


~Tu fui, ego eris - What you are, I was. What I am, you will be



Random phrases


~age. fac ut gaudeam - go ahead. make my day


~Capillamentum? Haudquaquam conieci esse! - A wig? I never would have guessed!


~Cogito ergo doleo - I think therefore I am depressed


~Dic mihi solum facta, domina - Just the facts, ma'am


~Lapsus nivium! - Avalanche!!


~Mei capilli sunt flagrantes - My hair is on fire


~Non sum pisces - I am not a fish


~Pistrix! Pistrix! - Shark! Shark!


~Tu stupidus es - You are dumb


~Vacca foeda - Stupid cow


~Vacca, vacca, vacca - Cow, cow, cow


~Visne saltare? - Do you want to dance?

No comments: