Friday, November 28, 2008

unusual, unorthidox, unethical?

We went out to eat for Thanksgiving!

I could hardly believe the news when my mom announced that due to the Thanksgiving style meal we had enjoyed with our grandparents about a month ago, we were going out to eat. She informed us that in no uncertain terms was she going to slave away in the kitchen to provide a second Thanksgiving meal. I mean what is that all about.

Ok. So sacrilege aside, how was the food?

Well, it ain't like momma used to fix it.
The stuffing was dry. (so they tell me. I don't actually eat stuffing.)
The turkey was . . . turkey. (not my favorite meat.)
The sweet potato casserole. well lets just say that it was fixed by Yankees. (they can't really help it.)
The rest was ok, but I did find a disturbing lump of quivering red goo, which my dad said was supposed to be cranberry sauce, (eww) but we managed to convince Letha it was jelly and she rather enjoyed it on her biscuit.

All in all, the no prep/no clean up factor did not really make up for the no taste/no leftovers. But However, I will not complain, because there was pie.
Not just any old pumpkin or pecan or apple pie, this was an apple pumpkin pecan thingy.
I have no idea where they put the apple, mostly it seemed to be pumpkin pie with pecan crumble on top, but served with a generous helping of whipped topping, cut into huge slices, the pie, well lets say the pie made me happy.

Lesson learned?
Next year we cook the meal at home, but go out for dessert.

1 comment:

TKB said...

so I'm with you on the pie thing. That was some gooood pie!

But I rather enjoyed not having to clean up or help with prep...not to mention, my tastebuds must have been affected these last three yrs. cuz I thought the food was pretty good. Not Mom's, but good none the less...