Friday, November 21, 2008

Things I did today.

Today I woke up to the ringing of my cell. Mom calling wondering if I could rummage through the freezer and pull out something for dinner, she forgot. We talk a few minuets until I knew what I was looking for, then she had to go. But now I was wide awake. It was 9:30ish so I got dressed and got the meat out of my freezer (which they store stuff in, pork chops by the way) and headed down stairs.

I thawed the meat in the microwave, then put it on low in the crock pot with some cream soup. and threw in several tinfoil-wrapped potatoes on top. Dinner taken care of I looked around the kitchen. It was a mess, mostly from a little project of mine the night before. So I cleaned up, filled the dishwasher, wiped down the cabinets, spot swept, and threw away all the trash.

In loading the dishwasher, I gathered all the cups and such left on the dinning room table. The dinning room was a mess too, (this time not my fault but due mostly to the boys - dad bought a train set last night for his new restaurant and he and Dakota couldn't resist setting it up in the middle of the table to see how fast it would run. Dishes away and trash thrown out, the dinning room was clean.

I moved to the living room. I decided to watch an episode of one of my fave old TV shows, Hogans Heroes, but the screen was malfunctioning and nothing would play. So I looked around the living room for inspiration. It was dirty too. So I opened the blinds (I cannot stand a dark room) and picked up in there (mostly after the dog, which chews everything and makes nests - like a rat.)

Living room clean mostly - I remembered that I was suppose to fix the roof on the dog pen today, and they needed fed anyway (the outside dogs -2 not the inside rat/dog -1) So I grabbed the drill (which had reminded me of the job) and headed outside. Fed the dogs, then I got the plastic roof off, but the drill was dying so I had to put it on charge before I could put the roof back on. (The roof was up in a traditional v shape, but I was going to flatten it and close off part of the front to limit the cold air coming in.

While I waited on the drill to charge, I remembered that I had just dug out my old camera the other day, and bought some film to play with the night before. So I took a few picks of the dogs, and wandered aimlessly for awhile. I got cold, and went inside, sung along to a few songs on the radio, country of course, then figured the drill had charged enough to finish my job.
Back out in the cold, I got the roof on, found some boards to close off the front, and filled the dog house with fresh cedar chips.

Back inside the house I looked around. What to do now. I decided to watch Hogan's Heroes on the computer. I couldn't get it to play on there either (the disc thing was stuck and wouldn't open.) But being in the computer room reminded me that of hamster - the only current resident of that room. I had promised mom that I would clean out the cage. Its Dakotas but at four we don't just turn him loose on that sort of job.

Hamster cage clean, I went back up to my apartment, and finally got to watch my Hogan's Heroes up there. Interrupted of course by several calls from my family. By the time it finished I was scrambling to get ready and make my way to work, where I sit now thinking back on my morning.
***************************
Then it hits me. I cleaned a house. Not mine. Cleaned a hamster cage. Also not mine. Took care of three dogs. Only one was mine. And made dinner, which I won't be home to eat. That's when I started thinking, I should probably hang out in my own apartment more.

2 comments:

TKB said...

Mwahahah! (she uttered from her safety in the dorm room...)

I hate cleaning other ppls houses...then having to clean my own room for free! Sigh...

And I totally could picture you wandering from thing to thing. :D

Melissa Phelps said...

Loved the random meandering. I do that when I go home :p

PS. Very excited about the upcoming party