Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Great Gatsby

Dedication - "Once again to Zelda"

First line - "In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since."


Quotes and Snippets I found interesting:


" ... for the intimate revelations of young men or at least the terms in which they express them are usually plagiristic and marred by obvious suppressions."


"life is much more successfully looked at from a single window, after all."


"I was conscious of wanting to look squarely at everyone and yet to avoid all eyes."


"I've been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library."


"He smiled understandingly -- much more than understandingly. It was one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it, that you may come across four or five times in a life. It faces -- or seems to face -- the whole external world for an instant, and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. It understood you just so far as you wanted to be understood, believed in you as you would like to believe in yourself and assured you that it had precisely the impression of you that, at your best, you hoped to convey. Precisely at that point it vanished..."


"Everyone suspects himself of at least one of the cardinal virtues, and this is mine: I am one of the few honest people I have ever known"


"... He supplied an imaginary noun with another wave of his hand..."


"Americans, while occasionally willing to be serfs, have always been obstinate about being peasantry."


"She saw something awful in the very simplicity she failed to understand."

"I've always been glad I said that. It was the only compliment I ever gave him, because I disapproved of him from beginning to end."

"Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead."

1 comment:

Alanna said...

These were good and made me laugh. :)